Customs & Compliance Coordinator
San Diego CA USA
Primary responsibility for managing and directing the company’s import/export compliance and supply chain security (C-TPAT) program and keeping current with all regulatory changes (both foreign and domestic) and their impact on the company’s import/export business.
Secondarily responsible for tracking and facilitating the flow of export/import shipments, including routing, schedules, FDA/USDA holds and releases, brokerage, customer service; review and modify processes to ensure efficient flow of goods.
Travel up to 50% of work time to entry ports, Driscoll’s facilities, and other business sites.
Bachelors Degree preferred in Logistics, Supply Chain, or Business trade security requirements and other government agency requirements preferred Minimum three years experience in logistics, import/export of produce or related area required. Strong knowledge of import/export regulations including, HTS classification, valuation, free trade agreement requirements, labeling, and other government agency requirements (FDA and USDA) preferred.
Experience working with the C-TPAT supply chain security program. Bilingual, bi-literate English/Spanish required and demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural environment. Willing and able to travel outside the U.S. (Mexico and South America). Strong organizational skills with the ability to do multiple tasks and solve problems in a timely manner. Must be a self starter, dependable, reliable and have the ability to work independently. Excellent communication and math skills with strong attention to detail. Flexible schedule to be able to work whenever unforeseen issues arise, in particular after hours and weekends. Demonstrates the ability to effectively and constructively provide feedback to team members and to create win-win scenarios. Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and Outlook experience necessary. Possess good phone communication skills. Must be able to follow and represent themselves according to Driscoll’s Mission and Values. Must have valid California Driver’s License and maintain eligibility for Company vehicle insurance, valid U.S. Passport.
CUSTOMS COMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Manage and oversight of company’s import/export compliance program, including HTS classifications, valuation, free trade agreements and origin.
2. Represent the organization as one of the contacts with internal and external customers and government representatives.
3. Review and monitor all import documentation to insure compliance with all import requirements.
4. Manage and direct company’s designated US Customs Brokers at various ports of entry, for compliance with all company terms and conditions, including supply chain security.
5. Communicate with U.S. Customs, FDA and USDA officials concerning company’s import.
6. Manage and oversight of the company’s supply chain security program (C-TPAT). Conducts internal and external audits and testing of procedures. Operates as the primary contact for all C-TPAT related protocol with Customs and Border Protection officials. Update and maintain procedures as necessary.
7. Develop and maintain up-to-date accurate databases, documentation and reports to reflect import/export activities.
8. Identify import/export issues and provide leadership and training in developing solutions.
9. Conduct pre-entry reviews and coordinates with worldwide Customs Brokers to ensure accurate and complete entries to country specific Customs agencies.
LOGISTICS RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Support and monitor all activities of international inbound and outbound ground, ocean or air traffic.
2. Review export documentation for all outbound destinations working with International Freight Forwarders and International carriers to book shipments and advise consignees on arrivals.
3. Advises in-house personnel of all inbound shipments with delivery/shipping details, including FDA holds and releases.
4. Analyze special programs and recommend changes to existing programs or implementations of new programs.
5. Research and route shipments based on company and customer service/cost requirements.
6. Develop container and shipment load optimization procedures and policies for Driscoll’s and vendors.
7. Analyze rates and prepare cost/volume and other ad hoc reports.
8. Track and trace international and domestic shipments including working to release product delayed by random regulatory audits.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.1
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.