Director of Continuous Improvement
Watsonville CA USA
TITLE: Director of Continuous Improvement
DEPARTMENT: Continuous Process Improvement
REPORTS TO: Chairman of the Continuous Improvement Council
LOCATION: Watsonville, CA
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, regular
JOB SUMMARY: The Continuous Improvement Director will lead the ongoing development of a broad system of continuous improvement at Driscoll’s. They will serve as a member of and be guided by the Continuous Improvement Council and will use their strategic leadership capabilities to ensure that continuous improvement becomes fully integrated into the fabric of the company.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other relevant advanced degree preferred, 8 to 10 years management experience, preferably working with Continuous Improvement methodologies and programs
• Demonstrated strong leadership skills, ability to effectively communicate, influence, and manage change. The capability to influence key stakeholders including senior management. Must have the capacity to operate independently and as part of a collaborative global team. Demonstrated success in a lead role in a high-growth organization and in providing strategic insight for organization-wide deployment plans is a plus.
• Strategic assessment capabilities as well as a vision for developing and leading Continuous Improvement across Driscoll’s. Strong business acumen and experience working in complex global organizations – particularly those in growth transformation.
• Thorough understanding of process improvement methodologies and tools – both in applying “hands-on” with work groups and teams; as well as ability to train/coach others in their application
• Must maintain CA driver’s license and eligibility for Company vehicle insurance
• Passport required, including the ability to travel internationally without restrictions, business travel: domestic currently estimated at up to 20% of time, with occasional international travel required
• Manage the Performance Improvement Coach Certification program as well as the deployment, assignment, and management of internally certified Process Improvement Coaches. Manage CPI functional direct reports, currently CPI Planner, additional staff in the future. Mentor managers in the application and management of CPI tools and methodologies
• Partner with the Continuous Improvement Council and The Executive Team to select and prioritize improvement projects and build a strong improvement strategy.
• Prepare the annual budget for the CI department and projects. Responsible for reporting of cost/benefit analysis for CI projects in conjunction with finance.
• Accelerate adoption of process improvement efforts throughout the organization by partnering with Human Resources to create and execute a detailed training strategy.
• Ensure that communication around CI is comprehensive, efficient, and timely.
• In partnership with the PMO, manage and govern a project pipeline and governance for all commissioned process improvement projects; must integrate and regularly update project pipeline to maintain alignment with business priorities.
• Support development of a repository of process improvement-related documents. Create and maintain document/material management governance that is in compliance with license agreements.
• Continually assess how to encourage enthusiasm and support of CI at Driscoll’s
• Conduct: Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner
• Mission and Values: Work both internally and externally with employees, growers, and vendors to support and promote the Company Mission and Values
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.